Shaker Tree of Life
18 1/8" x 23 5/16"
7 3/4" High x 10 3/4" Wide
By Hanna Cohoon, 1854, Hancock, MA. Inscribed "City of Peace Monday July 3rd 1854." Shaker Community, Hancock, MA.
Directions for Shaker
"TREE OF LIFE"
- Begin with the trunk layer and burnt sienna. Stencil the trunk in this color and the first leaves with Hooker's green.
- Use the 2nd layer to complete leaves.
- Place the 3rd layer and stencil the first fruits with Red earth.
- Mix a background for the darker fruits of Carbon black and Titanium white. Stencil this 4th layer. Save and cover leftover paint for later use.
- Use the fine point Jo Sonja #3 1350 round brush to apply dots, as shown, with Turner's yellow over the red fruits. Use Hooker's green over the dark fruits. Add the detail to the small leaves with the dark grey mixed for the dark fruits. Start this process by first painting a mid rib on the leaf from tip to stem.
- With the yellow and then the green, rework the ground at the base of the trunk over the burnt sienna, as shown. Yellow and burnt sienna may be used in the same way to give texture to the stenciled trunk.
- Connect fruits and leaves with slender branches using burnt sienna, as shown.